Tips for Caring for Your Dentures
So you just got new dentures. But what now? Having dentures takes a lot of getting used to. Besides getting used to how to speak and eat with dentures, you also need to adjust to a care and cleansing system to keep your dentures in tip-top shape.
Dentures can last up to 7 years when being cared for properly. And besides that, proper care means you’ll be able to keep your dentures looking great and stain free, all while preventing denture odour. Here are some good things to know about caring for your dentures properly.
Rinse and Brush Your Dentures Multiple Times a Day
- Brush your dentures using a soft-bristled brush designed for cleaning dentures.
- Brush all areas of your dentures, but take caution not to damage the plastic and bend attachments.
- In between your normal brushings rinse dentures (and your mouth) with water after each meal.
- Know that most toothpaste is too abrasive for cleaning your dentures. Use hand soap or mild dishwashing liquid. You can also use denture pastes with the ADA (American Dental Association) Seal. Avoid using bleach in order to prevent whitening the pink areas of the dentures.
- You can also use ultrasonic cleaners recommended by the ADA.
Keep Dentures Moist When Not in Use
- Dentures must stay moist so that they don’t lose their shape or dry out. Soak the dentures in cool water or in a denture cleanser soaking solution.
- For dentures with metal parts, talk to your dentist about how to keep your dentures moist without letting the metal tarnish.
- Never soak your dentures in hot water in order to avoid warping.
Using these care tips will keep your dentures clean and beautiful and will contribute to your oral health. Remember to also brush your remaining teeth and gums too!
And one extra tip: When you are handling your dentures, it’s always a good idea to drop-proof the area. Clean your dentures over a folded towel, or fill the sink with water. This way, your dentures won’t break if dropped.
Still Have Questions?
At Forest Lawn Dental Centre, we know our dentures. We want to make your experience with dentures the best that it can be. And we want to help you make the adjustment to having dentures an easy one! Come see us for any questions or help. Call us at 403-248-7778.