The Insider’s Guide to Dental Implants
Looking for a better smile? Dental implants may be the perfect solution to replace missing roots or to support partial dentures. With a 98% success rate, dental implants are becoming increasingly popular in Calgary.
Not only do they replace missing teeth, dental implants can enable you to eat and speak more comfortably. So how exactly are they inserted, and what are the benefits?
Replacing teeth nowadays is a relatively straightforward and common procedure. A dental implant surgery is often minor and similar to having a tooth removed. Here’s how it’s done:
- Before any work can be done, dentists will create a treatment plan that is adapted to your needs.
- The old tooth is extracted and is replaced by an implant, usually made of titanium.
- The gum is left for 6 to 12 weeks to allow it time to heal around the tooth and secure the implant in place.
- A small post, known as an abutment, is then attached to the implant.
- Next, the dentist creates a mould of your tooth, from which a crown is made.
- The crown is later attached to the abutment.
- Some patients prefer to have a removable denture while they wait for their gums to heal and their crown to be fitted.
- The dentist matches the colour of the crown to your other teeth, making your smile look totally natural.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Patients are opting for dental implants as they carry many advantages over other teeth-replacement treatments like veneers and dentures:
- They can last a lifetime if looked after correctly.
- Implants are just like real teeth in terms of appearance and texture.
- Unlike dentures, you don’t have to remove them or apply messy adhesive and your gums won’t be left feeling sore.
- You look after them just like your other teeth.
- They will not affect your speech, and may even improve it.
- Dental implants can restore your chewing efficiency so you can enjoy your favourite foods.
- Dentists custom-make implants to match the size, shape, and colour of your existing teeth.
- Unlike bridges, dental implants do not affect the surrounding teeth.
- Implants can fill in missing teeth or spaces and get you smiling again.
Get Your Dental Implants in Calgary
Forest Lawn Dental Centre has been making Calgarians smile for 15 years. If you wish to have more information concerning dental implants, or if you would like to book a consultation with a dentist, feel free to contact our clinic in Calgary.