Understanding the Role of Dental Hygienists
Registered dental hygienists collaborate with dentists and other dental professionals to provide oral health care. From cleaning your teeth to providing non-surgical therapy, dental hygienists play a critical role in the prevention and treatment of oral health issues. Here’s what you should know about dental hygienists:
How Dental Hygienists Help
A dental hygienist is usually the first person you meet once you’re seated in the dentist's chair. This professional will work together with your dentist to address your oral health needs. The dental treatments provided by hygienists often include:
- Oral health assessments. The hygienist will check your gums, teeth, jaws, throat, neck and face.
- Taking and interpreting X-rays.
- Teeth Cleaning and scaling. The hygienist will remove tartar, bacteria and stains on your teeth.
- Prophylaxis care. This may involve applying sealants, fluoride treatments, teeth polishing and more.
- Non-surgical therapy like root planning and periodontal care.
- Patient education about flossing, brushing and oral hygiene.
Hygienists work in collaboration with dentists to provide effective treatments.
The Importance of Regular Dental Exams
To maintain your oral health, schedule a visit with your dentist every six months. Even if you follow all the recommended oral hygiene guidelines, there are still areas of your mouth that brushing and flossing won’t reach. When you visit your dentist, a hygienist will work alongside them to identify issues. The two parts of a dental appointment are:
- The dental exam. A dentist will check your mouth for signs of tartar, gum disease and the risk of developing other oral health issues. You may need X-rays to help the dentist detect cavities, bone loss and other issues. This part of the visit will also include an examination of your tongue, throat, face and neck to check for signs of cancer. During the exam, your dentist or hygienist will give you suggestions about your diet and oral hygiene habits.
- The dental cleaning. Although brushing and flossing at home helps remove plaque from your teeth, it can't remove tartar. Regular dental cleanings and scalings performed by dental hygienists are necessary to remove tartar buildup, avoid gum disease and prevent cavities.
Book an Affordable Dental Exam with Forest Lawn Dental Centre in SE Calgary
When it comes to your oral health, the importance of being proactive can’t be overstated. If you’re looking for a family dentist, look no further. Proudly serving the Calgary area for over 18 years, our dental professionals are committed to accommodating your needs with respect and professionalism. To schedule a dental exam, contact us today.