What Should You Do if your Dental Crown Falls Off?
A dental crown is a cap that can be placed over a cracked or damaged tooth to protect it from further harm. Crowns are very durable and can be made of metal, resin, porcelain, ceramic or other materials. However, poor dental hygiene and eating hard or sticky foods can compromise the integrity of your crown. Sometimes, they can become loose or even fall off. If your crown does become dislodged, it can be fixed. Here are some things you should do if this occurs.
- Book an appointment with a dentist. Though it isn’t a dental emergency, it’s important to see your dentist as soon as possible if your dental crown falls off. Arranging a visit within two to three days is typically recommended.
- Keep your crown. Try to retrieve your crown so that you can bring it with you when you see your dentist. It’s possible that it can be cleaned and reused. If you think you may have swallowed your crown, call a medical doctor right away.
- Consult a pharmacist if you’re in pain. If you experience any soreness as a result of your crown becoming dislodged, a pharmacist can recommend an over-the-counter pain reliever to reduce your discomfort.
- Chew carefully. As much as possible, stick to eating soft foods until you can get your crown fixed.
- Brush and floss regularly. Keep your mouth clean to prevent plaque from accumulating on your exposed tooth.
- Don’t try to fix the crown yourself. Using glue or some other type of product to adhere your crown back in place can damage the remaining tooth structure and cause further problems. Leave the dentistry to the professionals.
If your dental crown falls off, the tooth will become vulnerable to plaque, and if you wait too long to fix it, you may lose the tooth entirely. Do you need your crown repaired? If so, the team at Forest Lawn Dental Centre can help.
Dental Crown Repair in Calgary
Forest Lawn Dental Centre offers general, cosmetic, family and emergency dentistry services. In addition to being able to repair or replace your dental crown, we can perform a checkup and ensure your teeth and mouth are healthy. Your Calgary dentist, Dr. Sandhu, and his team will perform a comprehensive evaluation and discuss your options with you. Contact us today to book an appointment at your SE Calgary dental clinic.